Wednesday 9 July 2014

A lot of love for Lottie.......

Hello again

As I mentioned in my previous post I have recently made the Lottie Blouse from Sew Simple Sews which came free with the second issue of Love Sewing Magazine.   I decided that I wanted to make a version of the sleeveless blouse which i could wear over the summer.  I usually go for crazy fabric which means when I finish a garment it just doesn't fit in with the rest of my wardrobe and I don't ever manage to wear it.  This time I decided to play it safe and go with a white cotton lawn fabric with small dots from Favorite Fabrics on E-bay

I found the pattern really quite easy to follow and the only modification I made was to grade between the size 12 and 14 at the hips. 

I have started tracing my patterns rather than just cutting away.  I normally have to grade between the waist and hips so it gives me the reassurance that if I make a mistake I can always go back.  I don't use anything fancy for the tracing paper just good old baking parchment from the kitchen!!





I decided to use french seams for  this project as you can see through the fabric a wee bit.  This all worked well and the top came together very quickly.  That was until I tried to attach the collar...... big mistake.  I just couldn't get it to work!  Out came the seam ripper and then the top sat on the back of the chair for a couple of weeks until I managed to get the time to finish it off.

After getting the curtains finished I decided that I really should just get it done.  It only took about an hour to finish and was ready for me to wear to work on Friday. 

Here are a couple of photos of the finished article...... a late at night just finished photo....


...trying to be arty with the mirror at my Gran's house......



....outside in the sun.


If I made this project again (which is very likely)  I think I would like to try it in a chiffon rather than a lawn to get a bit more drape.  You could also have it as just a sleeveless top without the bow and put the bias binding all round the neck.  I really liked the cut out section at the front so may have to make up a version like that.

Oh and just to prove I will show you when things go wrong.  Looks like my stitching never quite caught on part of the bias round the neck.  A wee fix required I think.

Quick project info
  • Fabric used: white cotton lawn with small white dots from favorite fabrics
  • Pattern: Lottie Blouse from Sew Simple Sews
  • Size:

No comments:

Post a Comment